Sharing plugins manually from a device to another one without using the store

Good question.

The plugins do not have redistribution restrictions, so rehosting them should not be an issue.
a “fake” store cant deal with plugin licenses though, so at very best it could have the commercial plugins but always in demo mode

5 Likes

Any way to allow the plugin developers to license directly to the end user? I imagine @looperlative already has an ecommerce system set up for his primary business, for example.

1 Like

it’s tricky… what is already in place for commercial plugins is a sorta device-specific DRM, which binds a license file to a specific unit. so one can easily backup the license files and even share them online, but it will only ever work on that specific unit due to the plugin matching hardware with license details.

trying to do an alternative license method would be pretty hard, considering the units never directly connect to the internet, have no real notion of time/date and are completely open to the user.

this needs to be a talk to have after the insolvency situation is resolved, whatever that may be.
we legally cannot do anything with this side of things for the moment, as this is part of the old company IP.

9 Likes

That makes sense—I suspected as much. I imagined that the DRM is handled by the base code on your side which the commercial devs don’t have access to. Even if we’d already moved to account-based licensing, the account server would still be subject to the insolvency proceedings.

4 Likes

I do not have a licensing scheme as this is the first software product that I have ever released. My physical loopers don’t require registration since you are buying the product as a whole. As for the plugin on the MOD, I need to wait to see what happens to MOD before determining what to do with the plugin. I know everybody is antsy, but I can’t make any decisions until I see for certain what MOD plans to do.

15 Likes

does anybody happen to have the Dragonfly Hall Reverb for DUO? …or is it even too CPU-intensive for that machine?

4 Likes

Hi @plutek

I have It installed on my duo and yes It is kind of heavy for the duo but It all depends on How you gonna use It.
I do not have the duo with me at the moment but next week I can share my backup files

4 Likes

that would be amazing, @rogeriocouto ! thanks so much.

2 Likes

Any updates regarding the ”fake store” (or the real store in case it’s up and running before the fake one)?

2 Likes

Hey there, I would love to this on my mac, but I don’t know how to log into my dwarf.

I googled and found I have to use Terminal?

I tried ssh 192.168.51.1 but that didn’t really work. Any Ideas anybody?

EDIT: Ok I found this application called cyberduck

this is a screenshot of what I put there

It gives me request failed however :frowning:

another app called filezilla gave me this

2 Likes

SFTP is not enabled by default, as it could very easily unintentionally delete everything.

What @Blindsmyth was talking about was SSH and SCP for copying files, not exactly SFTP.

1 Like

what error did you get when you tried ssh from the terminal?

Ok thanks. How do I enable it? :slight_smile:

SSH into the unit, remount as read-write and modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config, last few lines have sftp module commented out, the # at the beginning of the line needs to be removed

Ok thanks!

I did this
and this

with this command
mount -o remount,rw /`

What do I have to type in Terminal to modify this?

there are “nano” and “vi” commands to edit files, the 1st one being simpler.

ok thanks for your help!
before I do anything wrong, is it this line that has to be modified?

EDIT: Ok I just did it, I feel like a total hacker and I’m in it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok I copied all the plugins! I had only the stock plugins, so I’m quite happy to have more options :slight_smile:
Does anybody have plugins from the beta store here? I would really love to try cardinal…

4 Likes

You can also download it from the releases tab or nightly builds on the project page → https://github.com/DISTRHO/Cardinal/

3 Likes

oooh! great!
thanks, @dreamer!

2 Likes