My new physical PedalBoard: Reduced to the max

My wife is my biggest fan lmao.

In terms of your new found guitar, I’d recommend a serenade with the instrument.

My wife loves atonal shrieking noises at a frequency that drives away not only wildlife, but ghosts. I’m real good at those sounds.

Every purchase I make, is in the defense towards an unseeable, unknowable, and non corporeal entity that wants to harm my family.

I truly am the defender of my home.

Shame at how many variations of noise I need to defend my family.

Good to know synth manufacturers know my struggles.

10 Likes

:rofl:

That’s really nice from her :slight_smile:
Also, impressive that you already watched all of that literally movie from Loopop :sweat_smile: I saw it yesterday on Youtube, but just thought “holy s**t! 1h+ video?! I can’t do it now!”

aka Music for bats?

So in her perspective, you buy defense weapons, right? :sweat_smile:

To be honest, my girlfriend is the one that tells me “why are you looking for the cheaper version, wouldn’t be better to buy a really nice instrument?”…that’s cool from her, but my wallet starts having some sort of spasms loool
For reference, she is a classically trained musician, her main violin at this point maybe could get us a house :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hey Jon!

I am a patron of loopop, so I generally see his videos the day before. I need to dig through his never ending book on synthesis at some point haha.

I am actually pretty excited about that NTS-2, it offers the utilities I’ve always wanted to mess with.

My wife just likes synths, and she knows I like them too. So I get her drawing supplies/kitchen gadgets, and she gets me synths lol works out perfect.

I have an idea for songs for bats actually, thanks for putting that idea in my head. Hopefully I can work on that today lol

I used to think the modular system I want was expensive at $4k. Stringed acoustic instruments are on a different level entirely haha. Your girlfriend knows what’s up, my wife says the same thing if I’m researching gear.

Edit: moved downstairs to begin the sound designing process. I need to pack up my entire studio for selling off.

Here is the primary kit I’ll be using today.

I’ll be working on cave sounds. Something a bat would probably enjoy.

Edit 2: well I ended up with some cool nature sounding stuff. Hope you enjoy!

5 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: maybe

3 Likes

@Elk_wrath If I’m reading this correctly, that’s your dining room table that you used for your layout. Would you have to eat in the kitchen now? :joy: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

No way! I eat in bed only.

Nothing better than dropping mad crumbs all over the sheets. I know it, my wife knows it, and she both loves and approves of me eating crackers in there too.

Just kidding, I have opposite schedule from the rest of the house, so I am pretty much home alone most of the day. It gives me freedom to move stuff around, and I make sure to put it away before everyone gets home haha

4 Likes

I must say that I mixed the video with the Roland one. The Korg is shorter.
Anyway, it’s really nice that you support him. I feel that his content is overall really good and he knows really well how to explore the devices and teach others. He never lets his personal side fall into the video too hard (or even at all). He manages to give his opinion, but trying to see all the perspectives.

They also deserve to listen to music :wink:

Pretty interesting man! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My reduced physical pedalboard has now changed once again. The reason for this was another instrument that came along, I now play not only mandolin and guitar more, but also mandola. As already described, one of the instruments and, in parallel, my vocals are always connected to the Dwarf. I use the two channels of the Dwarf as mono inputs, one for the instruments, the other for the vocals.
Until now, when I changed instruments, I unplugged the cable (with silent plug) from one instrument and plugged it into the other. That takes some time at the gig which is of disadvantage. In addition, my Duesenberg guitar has a very high input level, while my mandolin with its transducer pick-up has a very low one. So if I forgot to change the pedalboard in the Dwarf when changing instruments and I played even only one string on the guitar, the audience’s ears flew away :joy:. I also always had problems with gain staging and keeping the volume the same for guitar and mandolin.
To make matters worse, there now was a third instrument, which again behaved quite differently. A solution was needed. And this is how the new pedalboard looks with this solution. It still fits into the bag of my gig bag, which I use to transport guitar and mandolin.

I bought a small digital mixer in pedalboard format, the GigMix 4-1 from Elite Accoustics. This one is fitting 100% to my needs, it has 4 channels, it is very small and light and it has no foot-switsches (I don’t need them). There is even another available with foot-switches the StompMix, just for your information.
The GigMix is not even half the size of the Dwarf and has 4 channels. The small mixer can do just as much as a conventional mixer, plus it has a delay that can be applied to any of the 4 channels and a reverb (even with a nice adjustable shimmer) that can be applied to all channels at the same time. I have now connected all four sound generators, three channels are switched to one output of the mixer, one channel to the other, one goes into one channel of the Dwarf, the other to the other.

The nice thing is that I can now plug three instruments and the vocals at once in the Dwarf, perfectly matched to each other. The Dwarf is still the only sound-shaping device on the pedalboard, the other devices help with routing, switching etc.

The observer may notice that two midi controllers are now connected. I did this because, as a busy guitarist and singer, I need to be able to operate the pedalboard as easily as possible, especially during a gig. And above all I can’t reprogram the Dwarf’s footswitches (the handling is too complicated and too risky to accidentially do something wrong in a gig in my eyes… and this happend already sometimes). The left midi controller is now used for switching the pedalboards upwards and downwards and to mute the Dwarf. The right one influences the sound: I can switch snapshots, fire my “Endless Decay” and do a few other sound-technical nice tricks :sunglasses:. So now I don’t even use the foot-switches of the Dwarf any more, only the foot switches of the two Midi controllers.

21 Likes

Oh this is nice and elegant!

4 Likes

The little JET midi pedals are great - just like extra buttons on the Dwarf.

2 Likes

Cool! Happy to read that!

1 Like

Love your approach.
And I totally agree, the Dwarf’s routing capabilities … I know of nothing else that can compare!
S’manth x

1 Like

Hi Kim, thanks for sharing your pedalboard and experince with the dwarf. I got myelf a Line 6 HX Stomp about one month ago and just heard of the MOD dwarf a few days later. It intrigued me so much that I had to get one too and started comparing. Since you seem to have owned both of them as well I would appreciate your help a lot. The user interface of the dwarf and its build pleases me a lot but I really struggle to get acceptable sounds from the plugins. With the HX stomp there was a simple palette of ever different reverbs and drives that all differed from one another and sounded great throughout, but trying out the dwarf I couldnt find any reverb that sounded “real” if you understand. In the drives none of them sounded good to me. Since so many people seem to be happy with the sounds they get I must do something wrong. Or could it be that my dwarf has a deffect? How did you manage in the beginning and what helped you? Looking at the different plugins it seems to me as though there are very limited possibilities and just every 10th plugin worked for me soundwise.
Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can help!

I just found a apost about my question in this thread so sorry about that. I got your excitement for the Dwarf. But my problems regarding the sound stay the same. Even just using it as a simple effects chain I get really frustrated by the sounds themselves and the high noise level (I´m going into a revv D20). This is also true if I only put one single Reverb on the pedalboard

Hello, @Mayonaise_Spaceboy. I don’t know if is your case, but my Dwarf initially was “sounding wrongly”. I noticed that the input and output gain were with a high value. After I adjusted them, the sound started to be great.

For “sanity check”, you can select a pedalboard that sounds great on https://pedalboards.mod.audio and check on your dwarf if its sounds similar

2 Likes

if you need a quick setup with a delay/reverb combo you can check out my pedalboard.

I tend to agree that there only a few good options for reverb - and most of stuff is not very intuitive to use.
The shiro stuff is pretty good though.

2 Likes

Hi @Mayonaise_Spaceboy
You must use the plugins in the right way, then the sound will be as good as compared to the HX Stomp. For example: If you use a distortion plugin, don’t forget to work on the input and output gain and above all don’t forget to use an amp and a cab. A distortion without amp makes, to be honest, no sense. The pedal is for pushing an amp and a good distortion is a result of a pedal in combination with an overdriven amp (for clipping). For the start my recommendation is:
Take the Veja Onyx Amp and put a distortion pedal in front of this, to blow the power of the pedal in the amp. Onyx in my eyes is the easiest amp to get fast and good results. Now turn the gain knob on the amp and you will find out that it is behaving like a real amp. So too much gain makes a lot of clipping but also a lot of noise (as in real live). You can plug a gain control in front of / between / after the plugins if the noise is too much. If you want to have heavy distortion, use a noise gate plugin. Add a cab as per your taste. There are lots of them available. Then add a bit of reverb, maybe a bit of modulation and it will sound fine.
I like the Shiro verb the most, but there are hundreds of reverbs available meanwhile, like the convolution reverbs, an IR loader, the Dragon Fly etc. You can try this with other amps and pedals then as well. it is a device for experimenting…

3 Likes

Hey @Mayonaise_Spaceboy

Why don’t you start a dedicated thread for this and we’ll try to guide you through it?
You can share a screenshot or even share the pedalboard (via share in the MOD interface)
Have you tried some of the pedalboards that you can find and try online?
What kind of style/sound sohuld your first, good board sound like?

Don’t answer these questions here, create your own topic for it, this one is about creating very smal pedalboards :wink:

2 Likes

:smile: :smile: :smile: :grinning: :joy: right!

yeah sorry, my JustinGuitar Community admin reflex were kicking in :wink: | this board could use some mild moderation now and then though :wink:

3 Likes