MOD is at a crossroads - and needs your input

Really sad to hear that! On first place should be family and relatives well being. So I think better to take actions which will help your family. The idea of ModDevices is really brilliant, and I think maybe you can find investers and give them an offer so the company will survive and will give opportunity to keep your family up. I know maybe it is sounds easy and naive, I’m just an artist, not financial advisor.
Hope your company and family will be good!

4 Likes

I’d like to see the product go Full Business. I see a lot of value in partnering with a Brand Ableton or Arturia for the ability to run load and run vsts on a hardware device like mod duo x. I especially like the idea of a collaboration with Ableton, because they have the MAX/MSP customization platform, which could be easily expanded on the Mod Platform, and still the option to port plugins via Gen and they have a history of supporting custom scripts for 3rd party devices. I could see a lot of value as a customer for having a DAW that works across the pedal form factor/mobile/desktop for one license with an analog signal chain and synced wireless to distribute CPU load. But I realize that is wishful thinking.

12 Likes

Hello @gianfranco

First of all I wish you all the best.
Take care of the family first.

In the end, only you and your partner(s) can decide which way to go with the MOD project.
Keep in mind that sometimes we must put aside the old things to make room for the new.

As a musician, I need to have products that can deliver what I need to achieve specific goals and that are cost-effective (I’m always on a budget).
So I don’t care where the MOD project goes (as long as it continues somehow).

I’ll be on the lookout for any projects you bring to the market, whether new or revisited.
And if it is necessary for me I will probably buy a “MOD” again.
Especially if support for current devices doesn’t go away one way or another.

8 Likes

@gianfranco and the rest of the Mod team: you deserve to be taken care of. While you are all brilliant and committed to the ideals of the Mod ethos, I say you should be part of something profitable. I agree that in an ideal world, you should leave the Mod completely open source… however, in the real world, I think it doesn’t actually make a lot of sense unless funding isn’t an issue.

However, because funding is an issue, then what you have to do is allow investors to come in (while hopefully remaining the majority shareholder!) and then make some compromises in order to keep the dream alive. I don’t feel community involvement will disappear if people can’t make their own plug-ins… in fact, to me, the involvement came from making really unique pedalboards and being able to share them.

Regarding whether Mod can compete with the likes of the big boys, I have used Kemper, Line 6, Quad Cortex, and have always had my Mod Duo on my board. All of these have switched from one to the other, but the Mod Duo has remained the one thing I never switched. I currently have a Quad Cortex, HX Effects, and the Mod Duo on my system. This past weekend, I just discovered there’s something the Mod Duo can do that even the Quad Cortex and HX cannot - that is to allow switching from one signal path to another and back and forth… that’s only possible because of the open source nature of the system - not because I can create any effect I want, but because you are free to route things any way you can dream. This is something that none of the other guys can do.

I vote to go commercial and proprietary. However, maybe you can have a side project that allows people to continue to program and to contribute to the development of other plugins… maybe have users with a history of effects creation be given access to the proprietary programming and allow them continued access?

In the midst of all of the struggles, I really can’t help but think of how Apple took open source Linux programming and commercialized it to make it the top tech company in the world. Did I get the analogy wrong?

7 Likes

Yes, @rogeriocouto makes a good point here: current Mod users will absolutely remain Mod customers. I have a Duo and a Dwarf and because the Dwarf is so crucial to my current live setup, I am 100% sure I will buy another Dwarf in the future as a backup. The Dwarf has not only replaced my guitar pedalboard and laptop, it’s BETTER to use live than both of them. I truly hope that regardless of which path you take, some investors finally understand that regardless of the open source nature of the software, the quality of the design and build of the Dwarf is something truly special that will absolutely appeal to many musicians of all types!

10 Likes

Hello @gianfranco ,

Oh, i’ve written a sermon, it seems…

thanks for pouring out what is on your heart and mind for what will become the next Musical Operating Devices adventure, although under a new name, I think.
First I want to thank you and your family coming through these tough times. It surely wasn’t easy for both them and you. Take time to rest. Sometimes you need to take a time out.

Something about my MOD user experience
From your visionary starting in 2014 at the Linux Audio Conference to the Mod Duo it was a really challenging way, and I both love my Mod Duo and Duo X LE and love the versatility of both of them. I use them for synth, acoustic and electric guitar with the Mod Footswitch and some MIDI controllers and they got both more stable and feature rich with every update. Sustainability is what I want to adress here. You need just a browser and the devices are sturdy and robust. Who would like to use their proprietary multiFX that came with bad parameterisation or didn’t work since Windows 7…
OT - Some remote control apps I use became unusable because of hardware getting too old (iPad) or because a newer app with extended features came that I had to pay for. -OT

You got the permission to include all these plugins, and maybe that was at first the culprit to me: To take time sorting out what effects, even in the beta store are useful and what plugins are missing.
This is what the main MOD experience was, and some users loved it, some hated it because competitors were more streamlined in their efforts building good sound presets. I sometimes wondered what was the difference between two plugins because of lack of documentation or missing references to plugins from popular brands.
The community grew by number and experienced people, and that is what I like about all of us. Highly experienced people with an expertise in their realm that want to help others. Now this doesn’t pay their cheques and costs their spare time…but I am so grateful to not hear one solution but sometimes multiple ways a problem could be solved. This is what is unique in a forum like this: service from user to user. Oh, I might have become a bit too enthusiastic…

There are some points I have to make that concern mostly the GUI and MIDI tools and options. I would love to see a different surface when programming synth parts.
Synth plugin ->SynthFX ->Direct Send + Aux Send ->Master FX chain ->Audio Out
Aux Send ->Aux Send FX chain ->Master FX chain ->Audio Out
I know the great MOD book of inventions and improvements has some pages written about.
Some guy I know has developed a juce-based AAX/VST/VST3/AU host I paid 79$ for that came with free plugins, but with some sounds, too. His book of improvements is filled for months coding time, and the community demands features here and there, but there sometimes are commercial alternatives. I sometimes thought he was in the same boat as MOD, Or, some inventions he made I would like to see on MOD devices. He is coding about 5 years, but the app was announced 2 years after he began writing code.

About MOD derivatives or projects that are based on the Raspberry experience: I heard of Pianoteq running with Zynthian, so I got one.
I didn’t know with future MOD OS versions Pianoteq could run on the MOD hardware. By the way, I love to use OBXD and the other synths like mda ePiano and setBfree as well as all others in the generator section, and I like to tweak them with the free architecture of the MOD experience.
I’d like to see more brand names to port their synths to MOD like u-he, maybe there is a way to incorporate these into the mod family.

About processing power, i/o capabilities and such some people mentioned before: I really don’t know if there is competition with just one audio input with some other entry level stuff when MOD could be the more expensive because of better A/D D/A conversion or because of build quality. In the end users should know what they want and the company what benefit can be made…
For the more expensive products like the MOD X: I would like the idea to put some class compliant audio hardware and to use this. Tracking dry signals and effected signal chains in the device with the audio recorder as well as the whole Mod device becoming an audio device when plugging into a computer. There should be an easy way to do this, but it is a heck of knowledge and experience to be known beforehand (OS driver integration, JACK…)

About the closed source parts or the intellectual property MOD Devices holds: I would not like to see what is elementary to the concept to be sold to big companies like the music tribe or Harley Benton (thomann).

About the licensing model: I don’t really know. I bought all plugins to show respect to their inventors. I was glad to give them something back. Was it the VeJa Titan that came for free that was a gamechanger for some users? I don’t remember exactly. If a developer teases with a good plugin that is free, one is likely interested to buy another one that will cost something.
I had a principle which might be well known. I put money aside until I had enough to buy something, I won’t use a subscription model, though. Maybe I would make an exception, but who knows if I can pay my fee in x years…

About funding and directly related to that about plans for future devices / software / internet commerce models: At first the company must know what to do or where to go for… Is there a market for product x? Is there a niche to be filled? Is there a company that is market leader and therefore can sell overprized?
I like the experience @jaus made. Sometimes mod units are used different than expected eing more flexible like a MPC, Maschine etc.

Some people have give good arguments here, and every opinion is valid and valuable.

Thank you for your time and God bless,. Marius

7 Likes

Obviously the first thing is to take care of yourselves; eight years is a long time to have been working on any project. I’ve always thought that, conceptually, it’s the best solution out there–modular enough to compete with the Poly Beebo but not as difficult to control, far more flexible than the Helix/Headrush/QuadCortex systems and others. I personally had a bad experience with the quality of an original Mod Duo, but I believed in the project and came back to the Dwarf. Both backed it on Indiegogo (Tier 3, sad trombone) AND bought a retail unit.

Looking forward, I’m disappointed to learn that since the reboot isn’t working you no longer retain rights to the IP for now, since we were told that no matter what there would be some way for users to access the plugin store again even if the reboot didn’t work. Perhaps that’s still on the roadmap and it’s just that we have to wait a little longer than the original two weeks you intimated, perhaps our devices are now simply as-is. It would be great if you could somehow release all the unpaid plugins as a bundle for each device and let us access the devs of the paid plugins directly, since they aren’t currently prohibited by the insolvency mediator from making money on their work.

I’m of two minds about whether to go full-business or full open source. Full business doesn’t necessarily preclude you from opening the platform to plugin developers. The Apple ecosystem is full-business but they have an SDK that allows people to sell apps that Apple didn’t develop–so you could theoretically still allow that even if the platform itself wasn’t full open source.

That said, there’s got to be a way to be open source and still make money, one that isn’t solely based on positioning yourself as a hardware manufacturer. Linus Torvald’s net worth is US $150 million, and he doesn’t charge for the Linux kernel. I’m not saying I know how that works, but someone does!

My concern–which is of course has been expressed ad nauseum by others in the past couple of weeks–is that my Dwarf is now frozen in time with only the plugins I thought to download before the insolvency. That’s not ultimately as bad as it could be; my Zoom MS-60B and my Roland GR-55 are also frozen in time and will likely never be issued another firmware update, and they like the Dwarf still work beautifully. But if my Dwarf is frozen in time, it does make me wonder if going back to non-programmable pedals that each do one thing well is the way to go. I imagine I’m not the only one.

9 Likes

Full business: here’s why.
I love my dwarf. I chose it over other open source options for a couple of reasons.

• I love music and audio, but have no programming experience.

• I love customising audio chains and creating unique sounds but don’t want to spend time learning to program. Pure data was a fun time of my life, but with a family and job, the dwarf is the perfect time:tinker:results ratio.

• I love the simplicity design of one box does it all. It’s my synth. My looper. My effects chain. I would have called the dwarf “chameleon”

• for this reason I believe a full hardware full business model seems most logical.

• there are other diy options out there, and other more expensive pedal/synth options out there; but the dwarf truely caters for us inbeteeen musicians. Who want full creative control of music, effects, sound design, but are not programmers/computer hardware builders.

• the dwarf is ready to go essentially out of the box; I didn’t need to assemble it.

• having a strong hardware product is what made the dwarf different from the diy competition. It was able to replace so many pieces of gear instantly.
    My 2c.

Good luck Gian. God Bless. I’m with you whichever way you go. I wouldn’t blame you if you took time off also. :pray:
Jarryd

19 Likes

Sorry to hear the news. GO FULL BUSINESS. It’s hard to build a solid business plan, meet deadlines and forecast in community driven world. That makes it hard to attract investors. I love my Duo’s - yep, own 2. Great product supported by great people. Most importantly, you’ve poured your heart & soul into Mod to get this far and deserve get a little something down the road. Charge for plug-ins you develop but maybe you can still allow the community to keep making their own effects. I am learning to code thanks to mod. I have no issue paying for plugins - especially quality ones. If you do fold it up, no regrets, won’t be pissed, it was a good ride and I will keep using mine for as long as I can. I really appreciate all you have done.

10 Likes

I wrote a very long diplomatic response but ultimately I’m feeling impatient so forgive my coarseness.

You could divide these opinions into 2 groups: people either want a product or a project. Users don’t care about openness. They just want a thing that works.
Developers do care because it makes their job much easier to make their pet project work on the MOD when it’s open. It’s more fun to work in openness together. Devs get invested and contribute other ways to help the success of the ecosystem. The users group however is much larger than the devs and they don’t typically appreciate the gains they receive from being open. You will probably reach many more people by closing IP and creating a product and a business.

I want to express my appreciation for the openness you maintained with MOD. It was not an easy road you took.

10 Likes

@Jarrydactyl I love your whole post, but this…

I can’t agree with this more! I’ve taken it a little further by building some unreleased plugins, and would like to delve into creating my own, but the great thing is that I don’t have to. I’ve spent more time getting great sounds from the Dwarf than fiddling with it to get to the point where I can get great sounds.

16 Likes

I’d like to share a little story of being part of silicon valley startup rollercoaster ride. Since you never know if any of this experience can be applied here.

The back story:
A number of years ago I was sent, as a consultant, to a company in the San Francisco Bay Area that was working on an electronic device. All I was told was that it was a brain stimulation device, and to just make their app work. It sounded interesting, so let’s go.

I get there, make their control app work, and in those first few weeks learn that the hardware engineers both worked on the iPod, and one of them was a founding member of the company that created Firewire. He didn’t have to work any more, he just did it for fun. They had designed a beautiful device.

Soon after this the company secured millions in funding, hired me directly, and spun up very quickly to have sales, marketing, and more engineers. But big surprise, people are afraid of putting electrodes on their head unless they have really good pre-existing reasons to do so. This first incarnation of the company eventually came crashing apart after a few years.

But what happened here was really interesting. The CEO held the initial financing note for the company so that meant he got paid first from the insolvency. I think he also had a healthy bank account from a previous company being sold, but ultimately it all meant that he could bid back on the assets of the company if he was not part of it. So a grand plan swung into action! The CEO left. The CTO became the CEO. The few employees asked to remain on board were then moved to the CEO’s other company as employees. Then the bidding began. We were losing, but at the very last minute they called another company that they knew were bidding on the assets and offered to combine resources to buy the assets. The agreement was to split assets based on the world. We would keep North America, and they would get the rights to the rest of the world. It worked! At the very last second, it was around noon on a Friday, we became owners of the assets again! Then we changed company names slightly and started anew.

The kicker is that during this entire time, we were working on new technology. We were making the product smaller and cheaper to produce. And the other company did not gain any rights to that work.

This second incarnation went on for more than another year then it collapsed as well.

I know the pain of this period of time. I really do. Thankfully it’s more distant now that I work for a much more major and secure company. I think you should take the route that ensures MOD can live on while affording you time to experience your family. Don’t waste time with your family, you can never re-live it.

I wouldn’t mind at all if MOD were a more closed ecosystem with an established business with the financial clout to keep it going, with hints of Open Source. I’m pretty sure that whoever acquires the assets would still be required legally to offer at least portions of whatever they make of it as Open Source, just as MOD is required to because it’s built upon things with that type of licensing. You can rarely take Open Source and make it closed Source.

I feel like the plugin costs could have been a bit more.

I own a Duo and a Dwarf, so obviously I’d like to advocate for any route that can keep the devices usable into the future.

Don’t forget, it’s amazing what you all have built here. It really is.

13 Likes

To be clear………??? Backers that have not received the Dwarf will not get anything? Ever?Need to know so I can adjust my plans with my set up now.

3 Likes

A terse response for a change:

No.

Yes. Preferably a route that maintains the hardware.

and your children need you. You can part ways with your brainchild, but not your children.

No. A $500 or $750 dedicated hardware needs a solid business behind it.

Also:

Which again means you cannot rely on that “community” if they object to monetising from their contribution.

Which probably means you should step back, recalibrate, and take good care of yourself. Mod and its destiny are no longer in your hands.

Much more doable and sustainable.

Ditto and ditto.

12 Likes

Can you find a partner company for example reaper.fm who can benefit by optimizing the devices for their platform and at the same time helping you stay afloat and continue with the production and eventually develop additional products.

4 Likes

I echo the others, the whole MOD team needs to take care of themselves and their families first.

I bought a MOD DUO both for the incredibly flexibility and the open source vibe.

I think for community based to work, the community has to give more. More time and More Money. This is never guaranteed but there are things that could be worth a try. A pay what you want option (like BandCamp music platform) for pedalboards/plugins or even a Patreon-like subscription. Maybe transparently showing the costs of hosting the plugin-store and giving the community a clear view that $10 donated will be x days of hosting time. These kind of things plus open source contributions could make the software self-sustaining, and if it’s not then the community failed.

For hardware crowd funding was a good strategy. Unfortunately, bad luck and hard decisions didn’t work out here. I’ve seen others suggest DIY kits or using off the shelf hardware, it won’t be as good as what you guys made but maybe it’s the most realistic option for a community driven project. Or at least for the near term future, this might be best.

I don’t know anything about going full business but I’d still support that if it works for you guys. While the idea of designing my own plugins in MSP+GEN got me excited about the DUO, I never did it, but I still love my DUO.

I would be ok even with option 3 of calling it quits. Let the MOD community sort itself out while you take care of yourselves. Maybe start it back up again in the future with the right idea or funding…

RE: The undelivered crowd funded units - You all need to let it go and move on. Both the MOD team and the backers. Holding on to this is holding you back.

Peace and love to you all.

7 Likes

forgiven!

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this most of the day.
I would like to point out that “going full business” is no panacea. In fact (without inside knowledge), I believe this community will suffer the biggest losses if this route is taken. A new venture will likely require that MOD be abandoned and instead something MOD-Like be created. Unless some new business plan is created that isn’t based around selling hardware, a closed business will be competing with MOD to sell devices, so will have almost no incentive to support the current MOD ecosystem. They can buy the rights to the software, make compatibility breaking changes, rebrand and release the FROD Elf pedal that will be the same functionality but now backed by a “full business.” I don’t know if this is the most likely route, but it is certainly a possibility. The only thing AFAIK that closing the source code will do is make it easier to find partners and investors (which is important) but there are still plenty of other risks that could oppose FROD breaking into mainstream markets, and then users will have NO options for community support if it folds.

Additionally, Gian has expressed his personal interest in creating open source products. I would not ask someone to start a business they are not passionate about, especially one who has already sacrificed so much family time and personal anguish for this company and product. @gianfranco, I will not resent you or blame you for any decision you make at this point, open, closed, quit, whatever… I hope you are able to find the path that will bring you the most happiness.

Now, I believe Gian was actually asking the community for ideas to help MOD utilize the community and continue to make hardware here’s my best idea so far:

Don’t do hardware. Not for a time at least. Revamp the business model to focus on gaining profitability in supporting current users of the MOD system through plugin store purchases. Create a pedalboard store. Focus on getting more paid plugins. Find ways to allow users to make money while making MOD money. Rely on other projects such as blokas and zynthian to make new hardware and bring in new users. Perhaps you can partner with them to help create a MOD Lite based on a PI but has an HMI or whatever would be needed to help lower the barrier to getting into the MOD ecosystem. But instead of creating amazing software and worrying when it gets used outside your devices, you can now focus on creating amazing software and hoping it gets used everywhere.

Once profitability is reached without selling hardware, then a 2nd company can be created which will create the best MOD device ever created. This company can tell potential partners that they don’t even have to write any software. They will just use this open source stuff created by MOD Systems which already has hundreds of users. They only need to run a kickstarter and fulfill it, focused on the hardware. Hopefully this reduced risk of having the software ecosystem fully ready will help make it clear that investment is worthwhile. Having a 2nd company would also be helpful because should things go south they can’t take down the whole ecosystem. Maybe that would be unnecessary.

I’m sure there are many details I’m glossing and issues I’m not seeing, but there’s my hypothesis.

17 Likes

I’m mostly behind what you are saying @ssj71 !

Thing is that all the communities built around MOD (both current users, plugin developers, and “derivative” products) already have the current opensource parts. Pandora/MODs box was opened and now we have all these wonderful projects growing around it.

I’d say let all MOD incarnations flourish and make the community stronger.

What is closed source, and currently in the process of possibly being auctioned off, are the commercial “gems” that define the MOD hardware products. The problem here is to what extend “we” would need to secure this intellectual property, at least to keep serving current MOD users. And possibly make future device developments/production.

One could also license these designs and firmwares to other third parties. Maybe behringer wants to produce a true knock-off based on the Dwarf specs?

Biggest “losers” are the remaining tier 2 and 3 Dwarf backers (I’m in 3 myself). This group additionally relies on securing all the produced components that are now also in danger of being sold to the highest bidder. I honestly don’t see any clear solution for this group currently :confused:

What people are calling “full business” is really a dead end in my book. Forking the current opensource code-base with “private proprietary changes” just to attract investors …

For me it makes more sense to completely split the software and hardware/device-interface development, at least in terms of ownership. Contributions could (and should!) be made from all sides. Say an NGO to run the FOSS part as a community and a GmbH (or several) for the commercial activities?

Decentralization will make the MOD communities much stronger, I believe. But it will also require more close collaboration on some levels.

(PS; I’d really like to see more third party CC-interface vendors too. that could work across MOD derivatives. that was the whole point of this open interface anyway)

8 Likes

Taking my post above in to account, one idea I have could be to:

• organize all core FOSS software under a shared NGO for the community
  • secure immaterial IP (designs, firmware, cloud) under a GmbH that could license this to third parties
  • secure all Dwarf manufacturing assets under a separate GmbH dedicated to producing hardware by extending a license from the IP holder (under a mutually fair contract, considering the circumstances)

I think this could mitigate some of the risk between the various stake-holders, while keeping continuity for the whole ecosystem.

But other suggestions are also welcome. I’m mainly worried of what could happen with the whole insolvency process, and which parts are most feasible to retain under “our” control, considering the whole situation.

(PS; full disclosure: I was going to invest for 1% of new shares in the reboot. in this proposed idea I could split that investment between these 3 efforts)

9 Likes