MOD is at a crossroads - and needs your input

I wouldn’t even go on tour with my Duo because of the UX, so it’s a moot comparison.

I could try with MODEP on a RasPI+PiSound solution, though. I don’t own one but I know some one does. The UX is basically the same, so it has the same drawbacks, but costs less and is smaller, which has some advantages, I think.

I agree with this except on the second point. I think UX is still vastly insufficient for my needs (live on stage guitar playing) even now, not just the initial one.

We all are trying to do this. The only thigs is that MHO is that without some hefty changes in the company itself, which mean expenses there is nothing to revive.

Of course the community could help, but let’s be honest. The “pedalboard of the week” idea failed miserabily. Maybe the community isn’t big, invested or skilled enough for this.

The area where the community has been more productive is plugin submission. Not good, all purpose premium pedalboards. This is scary. I leave to other to interpret the meaning of this.

Pledging for a device I’ll never receive, while knowing it has major flaws putting my trust in the company that they were able to solve them isn’t contributing for you?

So tell, me please, what contributing is.

Should I donate more money? Should I write plugins? Should I fix the GUI? Should I write documentation?

I’d like to hear what I can do. Keeping in mind that there are things that people might now want, be able, or be in position to do.

1 Like

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear, but I think you misinterpreted me.

With iRig and Pisound you also need a tablet/computer to set up patches. The main advantage with MOD is its superior and sturdy hardware plus the advantage of operating standalone over the iRig (which needs the iPad at all times) and the Pisound, that has one single button that you can customise… by editing a script on your computer.

(My complete Pisound cost more than 200 Euro, when the Pi3 was a mere 60/70 Euro. Its input is only 100 kOhm, inadequate for guitar/bass.)

I’d easily go on tour with my DUO X and not touch a computer all the time through.

I thought my answer was concurring with you there? I proposed many posts ago going full business and changing the overall mindset around the product, did you not read it?

You sure can. Zynthian too. It has some advantages (I’d place Zynthian on top of Pisound due to its onboard interface).

I might be wrong, but to me it looks like (and I always felt as if) the MOD concept was for a standalone unit, like taking a HX Stomp or G100 with you.

Maybe the MOD team can give their opinions here?

I bought a DUO X precisely to have encoders and buttons to activate/actuate on presets I would have prepared before, not live. Loving or hating the UI, my guess is that it was not intended for live performance, just like BOSS Studio – an application for preset editing. Boss explicitly recommends not connecting their units to a computer via USB live.

4 Likes

The company isn’t going to reboot selling Duos. The UX of the Dwarf is significantly improved in comparison to the Duo

7 Likes

Ok, that’s useful information, thanks.
So no new hardware and limited old hardware availability forces more a subscription support model. Not easy if you can not add new users. It all depends on what remains after the insolvency administrator done his task. Hopping for the best.

4 Likes

Hi MOD team,
Can we expect an e-mail if you have important news about the reboot, software or online services ? I’ve been reading this whole thread from the beginning so that I don’t miss important stuff but I feel it’s too time consuming for something mostly off-topic and pointless. Sorry if I’m straightforward, I don’t want to target anybody but the thread is more than 200 posts long and any useful information will hardly shine out of that flood.

13 Likes

The title of this thread is “MOD […] needs your input”. @Tarrasque73 is giving their opinion. Of course it’s “their opinion”, do you expect them to give someone else’s opinion?

I think it’s safe to bet that an important announcement will not be buried deep in a thread. @gianfranco will for sure start a new thread instead. So just skimming the forum home page should be enough.

And yes, I think assuming an email will follow is a reasonable expectation.

8 Likes

From what I know the web GUI is the same for all devices, and that’s the UX I have been complaining all this whole time, if it wasn’t clear. It’s the first time I heard that the Dwarf web GUI was to be different.

So does the Duo, if you want to edit presets.

I’d sure wish that, if I could.

And here we get finally to the issue. Duo (and Dwarf, I’m afraid) are NOT suited for live performances.

Let me explain where I’m coming from: I am a live guitarist that plays with other people. Tones are made in the rehearsal room. They depend on which other instrumentalist are in the performing group. They are NOT and will NEVER made at home. Never.

Ideas come while playing together. Some other musician I’m working with could say “why don’t we try some delay here”, and I would need to add a plugin on the fly or maybe 2 with a gain booster or reducer to avoid cutting.

It has never occurred to me once in my career that at least 1 patch or tone did NOT need to be tweaked a bit once you get to the grand rehearsal on stage. The technician would ask you to take away some reverb because the ambiance has enough of it. Or equalize some offending frequencies.

So, there’s no way I can possibly, even if I wanted to, map every plugin parameter to the actuators on the device in advance.

Working with a Duo without access to the pedalboard builder is a no, in my use case. Frankly I’ve always been a bit surprised thatnot many others brought this experience up.

That can mean 2 different things I guess. 1) is that guitarists that work most of their time “on the field” with other people as opposed to home in front of a PC are getting rarer and rarer. 2) is that those guitarists exist and maybe did not buy a MOD device, and so the form factor of the Duo and Dwarf are outdated and for the future is maybe better to stick to the Duo X.

1 Like

I assumed you meant the hardware UX because the GUI isn’t really relevent when using the device on stage

1 Like

Nope. It’s paramount for me, as I went in detail into in a previous post.

That is quite a valid point here. My solution so far has been to have my laptop with me during rehearsals/sound checks, and only use the MOD headless during the performance (if I can’t also have the laptop around). But in that case, having a (necessarily short, as USB is not working well on long cables) USB cable plugged in comes in the way. So it may have to be Wifi, usually using my phone’s tethering, or my laptop with a dongle configured as an access point, which is not super user friendly to set up. There can also be Wifi connectivity issues depending on the venue and the level of interference. I don’t think I won’t hit a situation where the whole thing goes dead. AND I have also noticed that the wifi dongle on the MOD can produce audible noise.

Now, I am not sure the thread initial topic was to discuss the technical advantage/limitations of the devices, but rather to discuss what the future can be for MOD and MOD devices owners. I agree it’s not unrelated, but we could say the same for many other aspects of that endeavour. The device’s characteristics are just ONE aspect of a larger issue.

4 Likes

That’s fine. That’s just not the intended use case for the device

This :+1:

5 Likes

That’s what I found out on my skin and that’s part of what I have been trying to state all along.

The Duo and the Dwarf, correct me if I’m wrong, were and will be targeted with a strong focus to guitarists.

The fact that this has not be included in the “intended uses of the device” is so a a great oversight that I wonder now the company could last so long before bombing.

I think you misunderstood me. Using the web GUI on stage wasn’t the intended use of the device.
The idea is that you create your own pedalboards to cover what you will need on stage and make control assignments for things that might need to be adjusted.

You can have a lot of plugins on one pedalboard and you can have a lot of assignments. You can also have a rediculous amount of pedalboards and snapshots. More than enough to get through live performances. This is evident in the fact that many artists are already using the devices on stage and have been for a long time.

Of course, there was always intention to improve both the web GUI as well as adding the ability to create pedalboards from the device. These are large jobs that take a lot of time, man power and money. Many improvements happened over the years and many were in the pipeline.

I get it if you don’t like using the device, nobody is going to force you to use it. Perhaps there are other devices that might be better suited to you at this time. The fact is, the device is the way it is right now, improvements happen slowly over time, the company needs to be rebooted for these improvements to continue happening. Right now, it would be more constructive to discus ways to get that happening again

7 Likes

The future? I’m afraid there’s no future at this point.

Let’s face it. Nobody is taking responsibility. You can’t blame all on the COVID. When a company fails, the first things that happens, is that the heads resign. The bosses are BY DEFINITION responsible of the company. Here, it seems the goal is to just get money to put the truck back on the road and carry on like nothing happened. This won’t happen.

Other people, me included, have been pointing to other aspects that kept the sales low well before the pandemic. Design issues. Decision issues. Technical issues. Quality issues Whatever. Sure, fixing them will cost. But not fixing them will not improve the product line to the point of reassuring people who lost faith (and/or money) in the company and get traction by media so to compensate for the lost (and hopefully increase)user base. So we’re back to the question.

What future is there for the company if nothing can be done to steer the wheel? Shall we wait for a miracle?

1 Like

Honestly, I simply see no way of rebooting the company, since the constraints you made.

Could you make an example of an idea that could be viable for the reboot, so that I can understand where I’m not understanding?

Well it sounds to me like you’re lacking in the imagination department…I’ve been a live guitarist for 20+ years and it’s second nature for me to be able to dial in tones and sounds without other musicians. If you have an idea of what other instruments are going to be at practice, surely a bit of imagination and planning would allow you to be able to come up with what you need. If not, then you’re better off staying away from every digital modeller/multiFX pedal out there and using individual pedals.

3 Likes

This thread is meant to be constructive. If you don’t have any positive ways to contribute and would prefer to complain about how bad the devices are and claim that there’s no point trying to reboot, it doesn’t make sense to do that here as it’s really not helpful

8 Likes

Also, you’ve said this enough already. Everyone has heard you say that it won’t happen in every post(which is starting to take up the majority of this thread now). Move on already

6 Likes