MOD Insolvency and Reboot

so, are our devices gonna be blocked forever then? I mean, if this last try don’t work, we won’t be able to access the shop and etc never, right? Sorry if it’s kinda selfish to ask this right now but I’m kinda confused about this situation

4 Likes

No @jesusperezsv

In case things go south with the reboot we will find a solution, very likely involving the community.

12 Likes

Omg. That’s sounds awful.
MOD is a great project with unique possibilities and customization. I’ve spent last month trying to create a new plugin for it, being inspired by endless capabilities of the MOD.
Hope you guys will manage to continue the operation somehow, music world will loose too much if you are gone.

As an end user, I should ask - why sites had to be taken down so fast with no warning? We could at least have some notice in advance, to prepare for the strike, so we could at least download some plugins from the store, and make last updates before shutdown. Would we have a second chance to do that?

15 Likes

I’ve been sort of expecting this. The pandemic and supply chain disruptions have killed long established companies. Given the comments made by some regarding the delays I’m sure we’ll see complaints from backers, but as an original backer I understood from the beginning the risks involved. I’ve got a setup using the original dwarf and footswitch extension along with a separate tuner, wireless receiver and wah on my pedal board that has served me well for quite a while now. I’ve been experimenting with midi and could easily eliminate the wah and use my Boss expression pedal and Morningstar MC-3. I’m more concerned with getting gigs, though. I appreciate what the team has done, and hope that things go well and the rest of the dwarf orders and pledges can be filled. I’ve already used the dwarf, duo and footswitch extension along with the MC3 and the boss expression pedal together on the same board. For now I’m pausing any further experimentation with the dwarf, duo and footswitch extension, because I have something that has been working well for me since I integrated the footswitch extension into my setup.

I’m still glad I supported the original project and will continue to use what I have, and hope things get up and running again and I get the expression pedal.

Bottom line for me is - I supported the original project with the purpose of using the stuff to play music, and I’ve been able to do that. Things are opening up again and there are gigs out there and there will be more. My focus now is on playing, and I’ll continue to support the project as I’m able, but I won’t be able give any financial support. Getting money coming in from gigs again will allow me to catch up with other obligations.

I will ‘stay tuned’!

15 Likes

I’m very sad to see a company with a great product go through this. As someone who’s walked this path several times in my almost 40 years in the industry, my heart goes out to you.

I’m also concerned as a backer who hasn’t yet received my Dwarf. Will it ever arrive? Will it be useful when it does?

8 Likes

Hey Gianfranco
Just to clarify, does this mean I won’t be getting my device or a refund? After almost 3 years of waiting patiently? So I’ve effectively thrown away the best part of £300?
As empathetic as I am to your situation, if that’s the case then I shall honestly never be crowdfunding a single project ever again.
I didn’t realise it was essentially gambling.

4 Likes

Sounds like we’ve effectively thrown our money away I’m afraid :frowning:

1 Like

The past few years with COVID, the war in Ukraine, supply chain issues, were events that were unexpected and totally upended or destroyed businesses and lives. It’s been hard, I understand.

Selfishly, I’m bummed that something that I invested in, and opted to ‘wait’ versus an earlier tier or beta unit, that now I’m left with nothing, or really less than nothing as I’m out $$$. And honestly, this will probably give me pause for investing in any future Kickstarters, and other cloudfunding ventures, from any company.

Starting up a product or company requires innovators to be brave. I applaud you for this. And I know the MOD team has worked hard under very difficult circumstances.

It’s just hard for me to not be selfish at this point. But who knows… there’s alway hope.

7 Likes

Ditto man. Honestly I’ve just deleted all crowdfunding apps from my phone so I won’t ever be tempted again. This is the first time it’s happened to me but once is enough. Encouraging innovation is great if you can afford it but I really can’t. A purchase should never be a gamble.

1 Like

…i mean it is. there are no guarantees with crowdfunding projects.

4 Likes

it’s not a purchase

14 Likes

Hi Gianfranco and the Mod team,

Sorry to hear this news.

I think the world is a better place with open-sourced based products like Mod in it. I look for opportunities to support ventures in this space, but with eyes open about the risks and challenges which startups have to endure (have been there myself, without the unimaginable challenges of the last couple of years).

Here’s a little contribution to the Mod cause.

I recently sourced a Mod Dwarf from retail, and am enjoying it very much, even though I was waiting for my indiegogo pledge unit.

So, please consider my pledge (contribution id 383) as a donation to the “New” Mod (i.e. remove it from the liabilites section of your new balance sheet :slight_smile: ).

Wishing you and team the very best of luck in the reboot - will be looking forward to the phoenix like ressurection of “Mod Devices - The Return” in the near future!

GC

20 Likes

You must be exceptionally wealthy… kudos!

Why am I not surprised by this update? This is simply more of the same. I will go ahead and post something similar to what I posted many months ago in response to your update then - and hopefully this post doesn’t disappear like the previous on Kickstarter.

The mismanagement of this effort is simply shocking. I see the same buzzwords (supply chain, delay, regional conflict) every update and I must ask - why is it that other projects are able to survive, and this one can’t? It falls squarely on the shoulders of the you and the management team.

How about putting out a timeline of your promises to the backers, and your lack of delivery instead of how additional investments fell through? Poor you - your mismanagement failed the project and the backers and your efforts to generate more cash flow fell through. Then what was the fucking point of creating a Kickstarter campaign to being with? You had more backers then you forecast requiring, and still blew it.

Then you ask us to wait using a Tier systems for our units. You wanted us to be “understanding” and we were. A year later, here we are, and now we are hearing about these investment issues that have been in the making for years??? Why are we just now hearing about it and just starting to get a feel for how poorly this was managed? If I had known, I would have gone straight to the Tier 1 shipment.

Then you start selling units on the market through vendors before delivering to the backers who helped generate cash flow to actually design and build the first units. Seriously?

And now this - another ask for investment and cash after indicating you may never deliver the units to backers. Wow. It looks like some crypto rug pull scheme.

You need another half million to make this project work? Not from me. You got my initial investment in December of 2019. You got my “understanding” for the delay in 2020. You are not getting another dime from me in 2022 or in the future.

I am appalled by this development and not for the reasons many of the other people have expressed in feeling sorry for you and the project. This entire effort is a cautionary tale in how we as “backers” need to protect our investments and do the research and hold companies accountable. I felt that MOD, being an established company, was a safe bet. I was wrong. Not because of the real world issues but because this project was a farce from the outset and mismanaged all the way to its eventual grave.

I hope no one is even considering putting more money towards this. The “MODFather” needs to accept and own the responsibility here.

7 Likes

This is indeed sad news. I new the risks when pledging and I knew it wasn’t a purchase but instead a commitment to do things a different and hopefully better way. From experience I also know how hard it can be to bring hardware/software projects in on time and budget.

I would like to thank you for your efforts and would love to the see the project continue in some capacity. If that will involve the community please let us know.

6 Likes

Oh man this sucks. Thanks for a very promising platform, and the music we’ve gotten out of it thus far. Hopefully it continues in some form… though I understand the bitterness of backers who did not receive their units.

6 Likes

A lesson well and truly learned

1 Like

@gianfranco How long will pedalboards.moddevices.com and downloads.moddevices.com be offline? I’m asking as an early adopter that funded MOD from the start, and over time, became owner of the Duo, DuoX, and Dwarf. Frankly, I’m a little disturbed by how the rug has been pulled out from us re: the online resources that the devices depend on. Am I wrong to think that you could have at least given us a heads up re: the online services going dark? Prior to this post, was there any warning that these resources would suddenly become inaccessible?

16 Likes

Ahh so that’s why there have been no updates for a long time…

Big shame this one… Not the first project I’ve invested quite a lot in that hasn’t made it but clearly some serious issues on the financial/supply/world stage which have brought this to a halt.

I suppose the main issue with getting a final unit are down to whether the plugins will actually remain available otherwise there is absolutely no point in trying to bring the company or the product back to life.

Fingers crossed for you and perhaps I’ll eventually get a dwarf…

1 Like

I am disappointed. I put my trust in your ability to deliver this product. Lets be clear - You delivered the product to other supporters. You actually put the product up for sale while I and others volunteered to wait for our units. I and others gave you our patience, trust and understanding to wait for delivery while you, in parallel, sold units. You utterly and completely betrayed what we gave you. We gave you money and we gave you patience, trust and understanding. So, for that betrayal…screw you.

Now, you ask for even more money by including a form for investors? You have some nerve…

I’m assuming that my money is gone and that I will never see my “Founders Edition” MOD Dwarf. So, here is where I stand - prove to me that you can deliver this product by delivering the product you promised to me…then maybe I might think about not sharing my disappointment at you and your brand at every chance I get.

What a shame…

8 Likes