MOD Insolvency and Reboot

The situation seems very bad. If there would be a problem with lack of demand, our community would be able to help to promote mod devices, but since there are problems with prduction what can we do? If MOD team can not handle production process why should we donate/invest in the company? I would love to pay a month fee for access to extra plugins, it would make MOD haveing constant money flow every month but at this point it will not cure the situation. If the costs of everything goes up (an we all know about it) why not to talk with backers that the price of dwarf/modx must goes up an they need to pay some extra money?

Sorry for being so negative but I love my modx, this is the core of my setup and I can not imagine to go back to standard hardware pedals that does not make me even 50% of the options that mod gives. Since modx is a small PC lack of updates will make it stop working in some time.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know how realistic this is, tbh.

I would have gladly increased my pledge if MOD wrote to us and said ā€œlook guys, we need more money to produce this and the original pledge is not enough since component and transport price has gone xx% upā€ , but dunno how feasible that is once the campaigns are over and what could MOD have offered in return to whoever refused to increase the pledge. Letā€™s also say that MOD decided this way and, for the sake of the exercise, letā€™s say they ask for 80ā‚¬ from every Kickstarter backer to be able to make the project; Given that Kickstarter had 783 backers, and around 50% chose to stay in Tier 3; thatā€™s around 400 backers; 400 x 80 is 32000ā‚¬; which doesnā€™t seem like a really huge number and dunno if it would have made things any better given the amount of investment required according to gianfranco.

3 Likes

Hi Gianfranco,

Iā€™m really disappointed. You ignored my last post where I tried to clarify the misunderstandings and even apologized for using the word ā€œbullshitā€. Instead, you chose to add fuel on the fire with bits of my previous post, the one you already replied, insisting on that same word I apologized for. Iā€™m glad other people at MOD (like jon) I had the chance to talk to didnā€™t use this kind of methods and were able to discuss their possible mistakes with good faith.

Let me remind you one of your sentences again. It was written 2 months ago :

This is a big promise, thereā€™s no ambiguity about it. I really hope you can keep it and prove your point. Until then, feel free to have the last word and make me look like the ugly guy of the discussion. This is becoming too personal.

3 Likes

I am also disappointed with the accusations and I am just asking to stop acting like that.

Sorry if it got too long previously.

1 Like

Mr. Gianfranco Ceccolini @gianfranco,

When I posted about my decision to not buy a Mod DuoX days ago, I mentioned there were some issues with the company I could perceive but chose to not dwell into that in my post. In light of your responses here and elsewhere, in particular your interaction with @funkypou above, I will go into just one of the things that are blatantly obvious for someone digging into this forum: most of you at Mod Devices (yourself included) are unable to deal with criticism, whether or not itā€™s justified or worded with care.

@James has responded above to accusations of the same caliber as the oneā€™s levied by another forum member without acting like heā€™s personally attacked. No mea culpa is given, but he was mature and elegant in his response. You instead spat a series fo numbers that, despite your many claims of transparency, nobody knew and could not imagine. You gave away in your answers that you have delivered less than half of the units pledged (shipping ā€œover 500ā€ and having about 1100 pledged.) Yet, with all the explanations offered and even ā€œsincereā€ apologies, you have taken it personally to people who pointed fingers at you.

Thatā€™s the all-telling sign of a poor, immature management.

In many other posts, I could see members of the Mod team also sparring with users, saying they were annoyed to answer the same question for the hundredth time. Without offering an apology to why that question is being asked in the first place: YOUR delays and YOUR missed deadlines and goals.

I decided to not acquire the DuoX I had in my hands at a good price (500 Euro) because one of you gave away the dire financial situation you were in, and Iā€™m not talking about your update post of 2 months ago. You simply do not have a management oversight over those things, and itā€™s easy to see that the capo (that is: you) is as combative and refractory to criticism, so the team follows through.

I mentioned the ā€œopen sourceā€ situation in my earlier post not because I donā€™t like it. Iā€™ve been in the open source/free software arena since the 1990s and am personally acquainted with Richard Stallman. So I need no lectures on Open Source. What I can tell is that ā€œstartupā€ and ā€œopen sourceā€ together are commonly seen as a liability in the investment world. And youā€™re proving me right.

You have a new ā€œcampaignā€ in place, passing the hat even to forum members. Looking at your fundraising documents it looks like youā€™re begging for a saviour to help you make the world a better place because you donā€™t want to have ā€œbad karmaā€ hanging over your head, instead of presenting a clear business plan. Your company didnā€™t start in 2020, Mr. Ceccolini. Yet, looks like you have never turned a profit. I know, the pandemic was bad, but your management skills do not look good either.

I sincerely hope your reboot plans go well and that youā€™re able to rescue your vision and platform, even if by selling the IP you have in hand to more mature, market-oriented hands.

At this time, however, I bid farewell to this forum and community with a deep sigh or relief for not acquiring a Mod just a week ago.

Sincerely wising the best for your success,
Michael

Over and out.

5 Likes

ā€¦on the other side, I think the situation is quite unfair for the MOD teamā€¦

Of course I have already a mod device with me, so I know how great it is and I really hope the reboot is sucessfull. Not because I think otherwise my moddwarf will be unuseful (it is still gold!), or I will not get new plugins. This is the advantatge of opensource, in anycase for sure I will be able to install new super interessant plugins like:
brummerā€™s Vintage AC-30
batteur labs plugin

or others even without the plugin shop (which I believe in anycase it will be recovered somehow)

I hope the reboot is sucessfull, so the MOD team could develop more great ideas, likes the ones to get a product like this. I really think is quite difficult.

so please MOD Team keep the good work!!

ā€¦and yes, I will invest, yes we can :wink:

14 Likes

@Azza I jumped on here to read the comments after the MOD announcement and I thought I would chime in as a MODEP user. MODEP is behind the current release of MOD and I volunteered to bring it up to date but it delves into programming/building that I have very little experience. I would love to see some of the MOD devs help bring MODEP up to date and that possibly expand into a lesser cost alternative of MOD. Donā€™t get me wrong, I would love to own a MOD but for meā€¦MODEP works perfectly. BTW I am not an admin/dev with Blokas, just a user.

4 Likes

Hi jtemple,
I was a modep user with pisound and I can tell you moddwarf is in another leagueā€¦ So my recommendation would be buy one while you can :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I m just a dwarf user, no admin/dev

11 Likes

hello

First of all, Iā€™m Spanish and sadly I donā€™t know how to express myself well in English or I may translate typical phrases in Spanish that donā€™t make sense in English, just in case I apologize in advance.

I understand the delicate situation of the company and I also understand the complaints of the users, since it has been reiterated multiple times that the campaigns of indiegogo and kickstarter were going to be fulfilled. Iā€™m level 3, and if I stay with level 1 or level 2 because a bird in the hand is better than a hundred in the air.

now I understand that this forum was created to give alternatives and ideas to mod device so that we all win.

I understand that the company has programmers because they do not make an effort to do with what they already have some program for window and mac standalone in the style of audio assault or neural dsp, they already have these programs created, they adapt and are sold to new users who do not need the pedal they earn money and finish the dwarf mods.

It sounds nice on paper, and I know itā€™s not easy, I donā€™t even know if itā€™s feasible, but it may be an option.

my Indiegogo contribution is #292 in case you want to talk to me via email

a greeting

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Pablo.

I am not sure that I understood exactly all you wanted to say (although I guess I can picture most of it). If you want to write things in Castellano, please do it. There are some people on this forum that will understand and possibly give a hand at translating what you want to say.

4 Likes

spanish here too, you wanted to say:

why donā€™t Mod Devices develop and sell a plugin for Windows/Mac DAWs where you can access to everything the Mod Ecosystem have (the UI, plugins etc) and use the money for creating the rest of the pedals for the backers

since he isnā€™t software developer he doesnā€™t know if thatā€™s easy, basically

4 Likes

Iā€™m sorry MOD has such issues, Iā€™ve mostly worked for startups throughout my career, some of which failed and so I appreciate the issues and I hope everyone at MOD is doing ok and can pay their bills. Iā€™m mostly frustrated because I donā€™t currently have a decent obvious choice in guitar FX pedals haha. I donā€™t really want to put more money into a MOD solution right now, but if I did, would buying a unit from Thomann etc help ā€˜the new MOD company ā„¢ā€™?

5 Likes

I would say that yes. You just help finish their stock so they will want to order more sooner.
I know that this comment may irritate some backers, but truth is that any sale that may happen will help pay the extra costs of the production of backersā€™ devices.
Itā€™s painful, it is. It is also to meā€¦each day that we take longer to deliver the rest of the crowdfunding units is one more day that I will get questions about when X or Y person will receive theirs when I would love to be helping users set their pedalboards or solve any issue that they have with the devices. Itā€™s been this way for the last 2 years. Itā€™s particularly frustrating when the demands for updates are high and the news is low (it happens a lot).
But itā€™s reality and, unfortunately, the reality is not always god.

10 Likes

My last two cents on this sad situation.
I donā€™t have a Mod device Iā€™m in tier 3 so still waiting ang hoping.
I canā€™t say if the Mod products are good but Iā€™m sure they are, I canā€™t talk about economics and business management Iā€™m just a microelectronics researcher and retired, I canā€™t give a lot of funds for Mod gmh support but if there is need count on my help.
I can, indeed I have to thank Jon and the whole team for supporting me in a rather delicate moment. I hope that everything goes well and that the situation is resolved. Remember that for us it can be lost few money / devices but for Mod and all the staff itā€™s work, dreams, hopes, commitment, time and a lot a lot of money that vanishes.
Hope to hear good news soon!

Rino

18 Likes

Sales are the best encouragement for new investors.

5 Likes

So, who did not receive the Dwarf has lost his money for nothing ?

Thank you for your kind words!

You are very welcome @Rino2! Personally I hope to keep supporting you in your ā€œMOD adventuresā€ so does the rest of the team. Iā€™m sure :slight_smile:

Yes. Thatā€™s exactly what I was trying to convey.

As written in the first post of this thread by @gianfranco that is an uncertainty at this point.
The goal is that everyone receives the device, but at this point, that is dependent on the successful reboot of the company, that in its end is dependent on the success of the funding process for the new company.

2 Likes

Ok, i hope soā€¦

1 Like

Not really. For example, weā€™ve now this:

which means everyone could run MOD now for free. I doubt that without the support from all the backers that would exist.
( I understand that this wouldnā€™t replace the wish for a real device, but, it is not nothing)

13 Likes

I would have gladly increased my pledge if MOD wrote to us and said ā€œlook guys, we need more money to produce this and the original pledge is not enough since component and transport price has gone xx% upā€ , but dunno how feasible that is once the campaigns are over and what could MOD have offered in return to whoever refused to increase the pledge. Letā€™s also say that MOD decided this way and, for the sake of the exercise, letā€™s say they ask for 80ā‚¬ from every Kickstarter backer to be able to make the project; Given that Kickstarter had 783 backers, and around 50% chose to stay in Tier 3; thatā€™s around 400 backers; 400 x 80 is 32000ā‚¬; which doesnā€™t seem like a really huge number and dunno if it would have made things any better given the amount of investment required according to gianfranco.

Iā€™ve participated in a few crowdfunding campaigns and none of them that asked for more money afterwarts ended up with a product reaching the customer. In retrospect, it sounds like a good idea. But if it happens during the ongoing process, asking for additional money is more of a signal to everyone (including potential investors) that the project can no longer be saved.

2 Likes