MOD Duo & Roland FC-300 Midi Foot Controller

Some extended background:
Generally the FC-300 is able to control things in the MOD via ProgChange and CC messages :+1:

But if thinking about possibilities of two-way interaction, things seem to become complicated :thinking:
As far as I learned until now, the task between the MOD and the FC-300 is challenging and contains some sort of chicken-and-egg problem:

  1. The LEDs of the FC-300 are (for now) ONLY controllable with external MIDI SysEx commands. For such purpose the FC-300 has got a special “SysEx mode”.
    If active the pedal accepts and transmits SysEx messages when operated.

  2. The MOD doesn’t accept or send SysEx messages.

So the solution to enable two-way interaction could be either

  • The FC-300 (in “Control Mode”) could be made able to sync its LEDs and current button states by receiving CC messages that match the current MIDI button configuration.
    As far I understand this would exactly happen if you’d implement the MIDI update broadcast discussed here Two-way Midi Mapping - Feature Requests - MOD Audio Forum.

or

  • I build myself a hardware translator: A Control Chain device based on an Arduino Shield equipped with extra MIDI ports.
    This device could then contain a defined number of software only controls that I would translate from/to FC-300 SysEx messages.
    .
    The idea doing this in hardware is only because of the MODs SysEx restriction. Without it, I suppose, it would also be possible to do it directly in the MOD as an AddOn or Plugin.
1 Like