MIDI without learn?

I like the idea of having the learned midi mapping editable and putting the „learn“ button next to the input fields. Clicking the button would fill out the fields with the learned values.
So I can still input by hand but also use learn and edit.

Also I‘d keep the type field for the midi message and not just stick to CCs. It would be a missed opportunity.
This includes the need to change the number of input fields depending on the type of midi message.

3 Likes

Ok, then let me summarize: My wish for the next Mod release is “editable Midi learn”! :grinning:

7 Likes

this is definitely on my xmas list :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

+1 for a global, editable table… maybe along with editable fields in the plugin learn dialogs.

maybe there could be learn available in the table as well?

any of these things would be a huge advance… mind you, it’s possible to just edit the MIDI CC assignments in the main pedalboard .ttl file. i’ve done that a bunch… fun times! :wink:

6 Likes

I have the same issue currently, couple of my midi controllers send multiple types of CC signals at once and it is hard to set mapping to something particular not at random.

Probably I have found a workaround for that (sorry if somebody already suggested that, I am a bit sleepy right now)

So, here is the algorithm:

1. Enable midi Virtual Loopback

1. Add the infamous mindi plugin to the pedalbord, turn it off and connect to the loopback.

3) Set desired CC number at mindi
4) Enable midi learn on the parameter you want to set
5) Tap on mindi plugin shiny metal button to enable it.

Result - mindi sends CC signal, it routes back to pedalboard and gets learned.

Seems better to me than reassigning learns at random and hoping to win the roulette.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t a MIDI Event Filter be the only thing that you need?

Not sure how it should help.

To my understanding, event filter applies to signals that are explicitly routed to the filter by blue virtual midi cable, and filtered signals are routed further manually by another blue virtual midi cable. In other words, filtered midi signals appear only on the output connector of midi filter plugin, and do not have any effect on the whole pedalboard.

Meanwhile, lv2 plugins cc control and cc learn goes via some kind of “invisible” direct always-existing connection between usb-midi/din-midi/usb-gadget-midi/loop-back-in input and every lv2 plugin on the pedalboard…

Therefore, it is not possible to filter midi cc signals by midi filter in context of “learning” midi signals that come from some external midi controller, as far as I know.
LV2 plugin will recieve all unfiltered input anyway and bypass the filter.

Yes, it’s true. Yet, I’m not exactly sure of what you want to achieve but you can also apply them to the full pedalboard. You can do it either by using CV plugins or by using the virtual MIDI loopback port and just “re-feeding” the out of the MIDI Filter back into the virtual loopback port

Not sure if I got this part. Do you mean that for MIDI learn the system is always “listening” to all messages that come in?

Let me rephrase the issue that requires manual midi CC assignment / editing (that is a main feature request of this topic, i guess) or “manual learning” I’ve suggested as a workaround.

There are controllers out there, that produce and send multiple CC signals at once, continuously.

For example - XY touch screen control surface, or joystick, or as I’ve shared in another topic - multi-axis accelerometer based controller ( There are commercial ones, like SA Hot Hand). Some MIDI flutes send one CC for blow strength, and another for reed “bite” strength. Not sure, but looks like SoftStep 2 expression control “pressure-sensitive-pedal-button-thingies” has two axis as well.

Each control axis has its own CC controller number.

You cannot move joystick so precisely that you will have only X coordinate changed, but not Y, so you will get a stream of different CC signals mixed together. (Some midi devices will not even bother to evade sending values that have not changed, and just stream them by schedule anyway.) Same applies for other multi-axis controllers -you cannot easily produce only one CC control, it’s a package deal.

So, if you want to assign some MOD lv2 plugin parameter to one exact controller axis, after clicking “learn” you never know which CC will be recieved first and therefore learned. It might be any axis,so you have just to repeat procedure until you get it right randomly. Or use a workaround of mine, or that @ [johrek] had suggested.

My approach is to use mindi to generate required CC signal in a predictable way and use loopback to send it for midi learn once. Just a workaround to get exact CC learned, as soon as manual editing is still not here.

Yep, something like that. If you want to assign control to some lv2 plugin knob, you do not have to wire blue midi cable to it, it learns from all the hardware inputs plus virtual loopback.

As far as I understand, it does not prevent original CC signals coming from external midi ports to reach plugins (for learn and control) . If we will connect filter to loopback, everything that filter outputs will be just added to the original, and will not solve the original problem - you never know which CC will arrive first to learn.

As result, you will still have random CC assignment from multi-axis midi controllers anyway.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong in my vision)

5 Likes

Or midi LFOs that are already running (from the digitakt or the midihub for instance)
I agree, midi learn is not convenient at all in my setup as well.
I’d rather some kind of list for each plugin parameter, to manualy assign a specific cc number on a specific channel.
I don’t see how midi filter plugins within the pedalboard could be of any help here, since midi learn seems to listen to all midi events on the midi input before any virtual cable…

3 Likes

Exactly.
I understand now better your request and it goes along the lines of what I first thought you were mentioning - I actually have this same issue with some controllers. I was just trying to make sure that it was really that and get it as documented as possible :slight_smile:

I mapped your feedback as well @Saki_Ciselas. I can see your point as well, but personally, I think it depends on the implementation, I’m seeing this as a setting on advance mode when you are doing a MIDI mapping.

2 Likes

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but how on earth do you post a question on this forum?
I have “introduced myself” completed the “training” by the bot (which assumes its my first time on the internet) what else do i need to do to be able to post a question?
I don’t want to bother mods or their support, i am pretty sure a member can help.
Thanks!

Should be that button there as far as I know. Might need your permissions updated from the MOD team.

4 Likes

@lambrosgg I also raised your trust levels what should help.

1 Like