First impressions diary

Had a bit of a play with combining some drives etc to try and mimic the sound of my EAE Halberd.

Ended up settling for the GxTimRay into the GxBoobtube. I also did a split with a LPF at around 160hz with some fairly heavy compression to try and get some of the chewy depth of the Halberd.

Sorry for the terrible framing of the video :joy:

5 Likes

So a little more time now with the Dwarf and eco system I’ve started to get a feel for what I do/don’t like. Overall I love it, it’s everything I’d hoped for and more.

Negatives

Mostly small usability issues:

• Not being to configure headphone output.
  • Requires a lot of careful planning for what controls you want to be exposed on the device should you need to edit while away from an external device.
  • Switching pedals is pretty faffy as you have to reconnect each time, it’d be cool if you could drop a new pedal on top of the one you want to replace and it would attempt to connect it up where possible.

Ecosystem stuff:

• User profiles for sharing - It’d be great if the pedalboard sharing was a platform which enabled user profiles with all their collections available.
  • Push updates to shared pedalboards - I’m forever making improvements to my signal chain and tweaking things so it’d be great to update my existing shared board rather than having to upload a fresh one every time.
  • Better organisation of Plugins/Modules and Pedalboards so they could be tagged up and categorised better. It’s pretty time consuming currently as if you want a specific flavour of a pedal you have to do a lot of searching and reading descriptions.

Plugins:

• It’d be cool to see more familiar faces out there, I love the more original pedal offerings (there are some really cool ones) but it’d be nice to see some other staple guitar/bass pedal emulations. I think that’s also (right or wrong) what a lot of people look for when evalutating a platform like this.

Thats a longish list of stuff but it’s all pretty minor gripes, not one is really a dealbreaker, just a range of quality of life stuff. Absolutely blown away by the handful of AIDA-X profiles I’ve had chance to try, it’s opened the door to a huge array of options. There are some great FX available there, you’ve just gotta find them first! The amount of depth you can go to with tweaking is way beyond any other platform I’ve encountered, it’s pretty breath taking compared to other stuff I’ve tried.

I’m sure some are already in the pipeline. If there is any way to get involved in anything around the pedalboard sharing platform that would be cool, I’m sure there are plenty of web developers (including myself) who would happily help out if possible!

8 Likes

This has been requested several times in the past and I have seen a preview of this feature coming in a future firmware update!
(hopefully sooner rather than later, but it will need some refining and testing before ready for general use)

7 Likes

Nice, yeah I think this was mentioned further up. Very excited to see this feature!

The feature itself is mostly ready by the way, it is mostly a matter of fine-tuning which plugins can replace each other.
Here is AIDA-X replacing another AIDA based plugin. Mono-to-mono plugin swap, with the audio file player on the left not matching the dropable IO and thus doesnt get “replaceable” icon.

13 Likes

That is a game changer :raised_hands: I’d imagine it must be hard to fine tune all that stuff to align I/O, looks great.

2 Likes

As previously mentioned, I have a bit of an issue running integrated with my pedalboard in that the headphones use channel 1+2 as stereo outs when I’ve got it configured as an FX loop between Channel 1 out and Channel 2 in. I’ve added some switches (circled) in the top position they handle the FX loop and in the down position bypass the FX loop and treat 1 + 2 as a stereo out. Obviously the stereo out will only work if I’m using headphones etc.

Is there a better way to do this? It’s definitely adding some clutter to the board!

PS the 2nd switch at the bottom that looks redundant previously had some FX in that I was having a play with but is completely redundant now.

Hi,
Can you share the pedalboard so we can edit it and re-share it ?

I think those two plugins could help you :

I’ll try and get it uploaded asap.

I think the auto selectors would be handy if I was changing the wiring configuration however I always have channel 1 + 2 connected:

I’ve got it set up roughly like this:

It roughly works out so I go through all my analog drives, then through Dwarf channel 1, out to the CAPO preamp and back through the Dwarf channel 2 before heading back to the CAPO post DI. There wouldn’t be a physical change to wiring except for the presence of headphones, the ideal would be that I just get channel 2 mono in the headphones so that I don’t have to sacrifice the FX loop.

1 Like

the headphones on the MOD units follow what the analog outputs are doing, so this is not possible directly form the Dwarf.

but why not just use a mini cable splitter? I have seen those that have mini jack to separate L and R outputs.

2 Likes

Heres the board - Bass - FX - hybrid fx loop v2 - MOD Audio

2 Likes

Ha yeah that’s a good hack although more adapters to remember :grimacing: there are other annoying things that result from using the channels in this way like recording a sample when sharing the board etc.

By having a snapshot that disables the fx loop and sets it to stereo it means I can get a decent demo of the board.

It’s pretty overkill though :joy:

1 Like

Another quick update, been playing around a lot with drives and also a little with modulation and delays.

My current pedalboard:

Got a custom drive channel that blends the OJD and a Fuzz with some EQ and a tube emulator which sounds in a similar ballpark to my EAE Longsword. Then few modulation options before heading to my Capo Preamp.

After that in the second channel I have an IR and some delay options which I’m still experimenting, in particular the fuzz reverb.

Lots of fun, sounds fantastic although still need to give it a proper try at practice next week. Once the tuner updates are in I think I’ll be able to remove my Dark Glass Hyper Luminal, my tuner and EAE Longsword. That just leaves the EAE Halberd and Model FeT (away for repairs) which I’ve yet to find a suitable virtual replacement for.

My analog pedals are dropping like flies! :joy:

8 Likes

PS really love the Molot Lite Mono compressor in beta, by far my favourite option. Kind of sounds how I’d imagined the Lusithand Alma comp would except that I don’t have to spend an extra £180 on it :raised_hands:

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: :smiley: :sweat_smile: Your droping of pedals is fully understandable to me.

2 Likes

I can’t see myself dropping the Halberd anytime soon as I just can’t seem to find anything that captures that kind of vibe. Same for the Model FeT, it just ties it all together despite being really subtle for low gain.

Finally the Jad Freer Capo which is just an excellent preamp (4 separate preamps technically) with pre/post DIs and FX Loops. It’s great for making quick adjustments when needed to compensate for room stuff.

While I haven’t got anything that would fool anyone in a direct A/B comparison with the Longsword, I’ve managed to get something that is tonally in the same ballpark. Perhaps a little more fizz at the higher end but a little more thickness in the bass thanks to the fuzz with bias I’ve blended in.

Really interesting experimenting with them.

That being said I’ve found the process much harder than with the GT1000, partly because its so quick to flick through different options. I think a big factor is that they’re instantly recognisable as they’re mostly modelled after a specific pedal like RAT or a Blues Driver etc. That’s also part of why I lost interest ironically as it all felt very generic.

4 Likes

No update’s really except to say I’m really enjoying some of the tones I’m getting. Got a pretty solid bass fx board and guitar with the JCVM modeller.

I think things have settled down enough that I’m gonna take the time to assign all the most useful settings to the knobs.

One thing that I couldn’t see was a way to save instrument level profiles or anything like on the Boss GT1000 which is a shame. I often jump between a few different basses and my guitar which all have a wide range of output levels, being able to save presets for each instrument would be super handy!

Finally started playing with some more modulation and delays, having a load of fun. Will post a definitive guide at some point to my favourite effects and most useful utility plugins.

Also have a disaster area midi baby 3 on it’s way, eventually I’ll add an expression pedal to the mix too :raised_hands:

3 Likes

You could :

• make the Gain - MOD Audio the 1st plugin in your pedalboards
  • save one preset of the gain for each instrument
  • make the list of presets accessible with a rotary know

What do you think ?

5 Likes

Yeah that makes sense although I guess you’re not really capitalising on the signal to noise ratio of the input etc. Very good workaround though!

Just configure the input for the hottest output and then just boost the lower output ones.

2 Likes

there is the option to save profiles on the dwarf.

8 Likes