Duo X as USB Audio input and MIDI device | EXPERIMENTAL

The “curious” thing is that I can access the DuoX vía SSH without any issue (with IP or modduox.local) and in the web manager says “connection refused”. Maybe this info is helpful for the “techie guys”…

the audio usb stuff changed in 1.10 already, so there is no point checking this here now.

When is expected 1.10 to be released (more or less)?

RC in a few days, maximum a few weeks. We need it ready for the dwarf, so we aligning its release with the beta batch that will go out very soon.

1 Like

With the audioadapter (Linux and jack) you can use several audio/MIDI interfaces at the same time.

1. Using USB Audio Gadget
  2. List of hardware devices
    aplay -l
  3. In qjackctl setting: Setup >> Options >> [X] Run script at startup
    jack_load -i "-d hw:1 -i2 -o2" DuoX audioadapter
    -d <-- you want to merge (sound card) (hw:1/hw:0/…)
    -i <-- your number of sound card inputs
    -o <-- your number of sound card outputs
    DuoX <-- as you want to call them (jackport name)

There is a better method now with the release of jack 1.9.18 JACK2 v1.9.18 release | JACK Audio Connection Kit

But anyway, that applies only to people running JACK + running Linux.

That sounds good to me.
Are there any (technical) differences between the audioadapter and the zalsa, does it run more stable, less CPU, …?
With Debian stable I have only jackd2 (1.9.12~dfsg-2), with Debian testing jackd2 (1.9.17~dfsg-1). So it might take some time until JACK2 v1.9.18 is included in the official Debian package manager.
But 2 possibilities are great! :+1:

the resampling quality is much better for one, and so is the clock drift compensation.
but for cpu usage, I dont know, didnt measure.

2 Likes

I know I am resurfacing an old topic, but the midi device functionality will be very handy in my use case. I tried the above command and I lost Ethernet and usb connection to the unit. That was solved by reinstalling the image (brand new unit so nothing to loose).

Is it possible to enable it? If not, is it planned for a future release?

the steps are detailed at the bottom of Audio Through USB - MOD Wiki

whatever steps were mentioned before dont matter now.
the wiki should have the latest info

we added a windows-compatible mode too, I guess that is one thing needed for your case to get it to work…?

2 Likes

Nice! I will give it a try. I don’t use Windows for music production so I don’t mind for compatibility with it.

alright, then just make sure to have 1.10.2 before trying this.

Will do! Thank you for your help!

This is really cool, but I had one quick question: Does it work for USB Audio out as well?

If USB Audio Out works as well, then mod devices could really work as an audio interface, which could be quite cool.

(Of course, you guys probably already thought of this)

2 Likes

Yes it does, but the first Duo X models have issues with playback.

1 Like

Okay, so I read https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Audio_Through_USB and used the “USB Audio Gadget” mode to try to turn the Mod Duo X into an audio interface.

I realized that if I wanted to use it as a traditional Audio Interface, I have to route as the following:
Routing A: Hardware Capture 1, 2 into Hardware Usb Audio Playback 1, 2
Routing B: Hardware Audio Usb Capture 1, 2 to Hardware Playback 1, 2

After doing this, I tried recording some things on Logic Pro.

I found that the latency is quite bad, even though Logic says that it should be pretty good. I think I know why this is so and the following is my train of thought:

1. There is a fixed latency when any audio signal is passed through Mod Duo X (about 8ms).
  2. Routing A adds 8ms to the latency.
  3. Ideally, what you would want is to “directly” hear the output of the computer (i.e. Hardware Audio Usb Capture 1, 2 directly into Hardware Playback 1, 2), but as is, there needs to be another virtual routing (Routing B), and this adds another 8ms to the latency.
  4. Logic only takes into account Routing A’s latency, since it doesn’t know that it takes an extra Routing B for the listener to hear, so it thinks the latency should only be 8ms.
  5. However, in actuality, this setup always results in doubled latency, 16ms + alpha for 128 frames async, which is quite noticable, especially with any additional processing on Logic.

So what I think is: since if you are using this device as an Audio Interface, you don’t actually need any processing inside of the Mod Device for either Routing A and/or Routing B. So maybe a “Bypass” option for Routing A and/or B would reduce latency significantly. Of course, I don’t know any inner workings and this might not be feasible at all, but since there is a condition that these Routings do not require any processing, maybe it is possible to reduce it?

Some of your assertions are not quite correct.
Adding a connection doesnt double the latency, the extra latency on the USB audio gadget comes from how it is setup at the moment.
It is too early to do tests on latency for this, as everything is still in preliminary phase. There is a double-double-buffering going on with the audio when sent over usb, which can be heavily reduced (we will do some tests for this later on)

And there is an amount of cpu usage/processing when enabling and using such feature. We do not have a dedicated chip/hw doing this, it is all in software.

1 Like

Hey there, I was trying the USB gadget method on my Mod Duo X and after rebooting, I can not access the unit anymore neither via ssh nor the Web Interface. I backed up my data so I don’t mind doing a manual update. However, since I carefully followed the steps in the wiki page, I was wondering if I’m missing something or if it just happened because this is still an experimental feature?
Also, any plans to make this an actual feature in the future?

Depends if you use Windows or not. For Windows a special extra file is needed, but I guess you followed that…
So, no idea.

The MIDI “gadget” mode is already enabled on the Dwarf, seems to work without issues. So it is likely we will bring this feature first to the other units.

The audio “gadget” is on the roadmap for the Dwarf too, but with a few things that take priority over it.
Something to see happening in 2022, just hard to say when exactly right now.

1 Like

Thanks ! I’m using MacOS and the process seems to go well all the way through the reboot. The problem is, since I cannot access the web gui, I don’t know if it worked or not :man_shrugging: