DISTRHO - Cardinal

plus when I save a rack from Cardinal VST (inside Ableton) and try to open it in VCV Rack, this error message is returned.

that is normal. At least for now.

Do you mean that you donā€™t see the screenshot? If thatā€™s the issue it is actually working and it was deployed. Thereā€™s only a problem with the screenshot - but if you test the sound it works. I was playing a bit with it yesterday and together with @falkTX we found that bug as well.

probably some compatibility issues due to modules, etc. I donā€™t think that for now you are supposed to be able to open the Cardinal generated patches on VCV

1 Like

Hi Jon, work all fine just a few reboots :relaxed:
the patch print screens on Cardinal also work.

I think that porting such a system in offline mode to the DUO can attract a lot of users, itā€™s really awesome!

the possibility of having VCV Rack on the MOD could also wake up old Nord Modular users. Thank you for this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Just let me understand the method to map some parameters on the know of DUO X. Happy that you are carrying out this beautiful project.

P.S: auto deploy is very useful and allows realtime control with little latency for pacth design.

1 Like

The only problem, however, could be excessive CPU usage

That is sadly to be expected.
Rack itself doesnt even support ARM yet, not even the new Apple M1 which is so popular.
So neither Rack or any plugin/module for Rack was ever optimized to work on ARM.

making a patch with a VCO, a two-pole filter and a dust generator, the DSP usage rises to 72%. Is there a limit within which you have to worry about it?

Depends if you are on a Duo or other units.
The Duo being only dual-core means if you hit hard with 1 plugin, there is only one other cpu core that needs to handle everything else, which is quite dangerous.
So on Duo ~ 85% should be the max to try to push in my opinion, on the other units it doesnā€™t matter much as long as you do not trigger xruns / audio glitches.

1 Like

iā€™m on DUO X

I still havenā€™t been able to figure out how to map some parametersā€¦

You cant map parameters (knobs, buttons, etc) directly with the ā€œhost paramsā€ module yet, but you can use it as cv source.

2 Likes

Hello.

Each time that Iā€™m trying to load the module in Mod Duo it disconnects.

Mod Duo is updated to latest version.
I am on a Mac M1
I also use Ableton:

• VST2 plugin appears in the window but whenever I try to load the VST3 plugin, there is an error saying that it could not be opened.
  • When loading VST2, I cannot connect to the MOD. At least, nothing seems to happensā€¦ (No ā€œDeploy to MODā€ action.

Ableton seems very pick on what vst3 plugins it allows, I couldnt get it to work either.
In any case, for things not related to MOD please use the issue tracker or discussions on https://github.com/DISTRHO/Cardinal thanks.

I am going to try this on a Duo, has been a while since I did soā€¦

2 Likes

Cool! I actually didnā€™t get so far :slight_smile: So I guess I should try it again today :wink:

I couldnā€™t agree more!

Props to the great @falkTX! He took it on his own :wink:

3 Likes

Plugin has been updated, matching the tagged 22.02 official release.
See KXStudio News for the announcement.

The Duo build is fixed now.
Plugin category has been set to Utility.

6 Likes

I have downloaded the latest version on my Duo and it works now.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Everything works except the snapshot that Cardinal deploys on the mod plugā€¦

1 Like

Havenā€™t fired it up, but excited by this! Woot!

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for this! The Mod environment is constantly challenging and inspiring learning in music/computer tech. Being mostly an acoustic player, my level of computing leaves me lost. But even more eager to learn :slight_smile:
I am on Mac Catalina and MOD DUO. I was able to download the package and install.
Lv2/VST/VST3 plugins are in their folders. They show up in ableton 10, but with no gui. So how to control anything? I am not able to open the Cardinal rack itself in standalone mode. I also tried to download VCV rack 2 and try to load the Cardinal plugins/modules there but no luck. The closest is maybe when i try to load the ā€œVCV fileā€ and get a error message saying that it cannot find ā€œmidi hostā€ and a few another things. But maybe going through VCV RACK is unnessesary? If there is an easy fix, then please help. If you need more info (screenshots etc.) let me know! The plugin works and does not crash during opening in mod duo.

1 Like

This doesnā€™t seem possible.

Neither this.

Yet, this is weird. it should open normally. Have you tried to click on that little button on the plugin section of Ableton that opens the plugin UI?

Yes it is. The Cardinal is its own thing based on VCV, but not VCV.

1 Like

Please direct any support questions to https://github.com/DISTRHO/Cardinal/issues

For standalone use you need to have JACK audio installed and running. This is pretty much only meant for testing purposes and you miss out on a lot of host integrations.

The Cardinal specific modules are obviously not compatible with the regular Rack2Free (or Pro) so there is no point in trying to open patches in there, since they wonā€™t work.

The VST3 build is very experimental right now, so lets ignore that for now. If you are seeing a specific issue with opening the VST2 UI in Ableton 10, please report it on GitHub so that others can investigate. Can you open it in any other DAW/plugin host?

The Cardinal project is not by MOD so best to keep all support requests centralized on the issue tracker. :slight_smile:

6 Likes